Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technicians work with vehicles and farm equipment to inspect, repair and maintain them. Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technicians work with the biggest engines and machines to make sure they continue to run safely at optimum efficiency.
Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technicians know how to troubleshoot problems for the trucks and heavy equipment, and are ready to get dirty when it comes to disassembling and reassembling engines and other components. At times, they have to work out in a field, fixing farm equipment. Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technicians do more than just engine repair. They must have knowledge of electrical systems, hydraulics, fuel and brake lines etc.
As a team player on the farm, Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technicians are sometimes required to drive a delivery or manure truck. Although it is not their primary focus of the job, they may also be asked to work in the fields during the high peak seasons of planting and harvesting.
- Attention to Detail: Some parts need to be in the exact right place, or they will not work. Being able to pay attention to the minute details of trucks and heavy equipment repair will be necessary.
- Strength: Some equipment can be extremely heavy and will take a lot of strength to move or manipulate.
- Mechanical Skills: Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technicians will need familiarity with parts and components of complex machinery and engines, as well as the tools to fix them.
- Technical Skills: Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technicians will need to be familiar with electronics, be able to read blueprints, or use electronic diagnostic equipment to troubleshoot repairs.
- Manual Dexterity: Good hands and great hand-eye coordination help Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technicians be successful.
- Troubleshooting Skills: Heavy equipment mechanics need to be able to look at mechanical, hydraulic and electrical systems, identify problems, and think about possible solutions.
- High School diploma is required
- Associates degree in diesel technology or a related field is preferred
- ASE Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technician Certification is preferred
- Minimum of 7+ years of experience in Heavy Equipment Maintenance Technicians is required
- Class B Commercial Driver’s License is required
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License id preferred
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!