The responsibility of the Agronomy Intern is to meet or exceed Kreher standards by learning and performing duties relative to crop scouting and production that will positively impact crop production as directed by the Manager of Crop Science and Administration.
The main objective of the Agronomy Intern’s work is to:
* Provide a quality product to the customer by efficiently performing various functions related to
Integrated Pest Management and other related duties.
* Under the direction of the Manager of Crop Science and Administration learn key concepts of
agronomy and IPM as they are applied in a complex large scale organic farming operation.
* Learn necessary information related to crop development, insect/disease/weed identification, to
facilitate effective crop scouting.
* Use best methods and technologies to collect environmental, crop development, beneficial and pest
insect, disease, and weed pressure information affecting yield and quality for several organic crops
over a large and diverse geographic area.
* Effectively and clearly communicate findings to key personnel within expected timelines.
* Attendance & punctuality reflect a dedicated and reliable commitment to serving the customer.
* Demonstrate excellent stewardship of all entrusted tools, technology, and vehicles.
* Look for opportunities to eliminate re-work, waste, etc., and inform mgmt. of potential hazards.
* Prioritize tasks and efficiently manage time to complete within the expected time.
* Can be counted on to meet or exceed standards in the tasks performed for the department without
sacrificing quality, food safety, or personal safety.
* Maintain a clean and organized work area to avoid accidents
* Maintain two-way communication with Manager of Crop Science and Administration, and team
* Act as a team player (support and encourage co-workers).
* Show flexibility; move to different tasks or geographic areas as needed.
* Treat co-workers with respect
* Comply with Kreher’s Policies and Work Rules, as well as federal and state laws (attendance, etc.).
* Practice safety and comply with policies and procedures including those related to food safety.
* Look for opportunities to improve safety, prevent accidents, help make Kreher’s a safe place to work.
* Assist managers as requested, including performing duties in other areas of the farm as required.
* At end of internship, lead a presentation to Kreher leadership discussing key take-aways from the
internship and how this experience fits in with past and expected/desired future experiences.
* Self-motivation and ability to effectively work both alone for long periods and in collaborative groups
* Ability to occasionally work long hours during primary crop seasons
* Ability to effectively organize, manage, and communicate large amounts of detailed information
* Valid driver’s license required
* Basic computer/technology utilization skills required
* Basic agronomic and/or farming knowledge a plus